Foodie, gourmand, bon viveur, gastropod. All words that can be used to describe yours truly. Yes, I love food. From pop up to food truck or from bistro to living room there is no better feeling than biting into something delicious. But can you eat with a clear conscience? In the food industry sustainability is key and one of the best ways to tackle this is by reducing food waste. Here are a few of my favourite products and offers in Zurich that are dedicated to the fight against food waste. En Guete!
1. Madame FrigoHave you ever packed your bags for a holiday and realised that your fridge is still packed with fresh food? But what can you do? You could try to create the worlds largest sandwich or, more sensibly, you could take it to Madame Frigo. Madame Frigo has set up communal fridges all over the city where you can put edible food at any time. And of course you can also take products home with you. Simple.
2. Gebana x GrassrootedHere’s a horror story for you. 60% of the vegetables produced in Switzerland do not end up on our plates. Why? Because they are too long, short, fat, thin or look like genitalia or even more unappetising, Donald Trump. The Grassrooted association, in cooperation with Gebana, is actively working against this and saves 6-10 tonnes of perfect vegetables every month. And with a «Gemüseretter/innen» subscription you too can make a contribution. Every fortnight, you will receive an approx. 6 kg vegetable package delivered to your home. Fresh, different from the norm (like me) and seasonal.
3. Aess-BarFor the average native English speaker sustainability is probably the last thing on you mind when you see the words, «Äss-Bar» but, as they have been trying to prevent food waste since 2013, they are entitled to pioneer status. With two locations in Zurich their goal is to give a second chance to perfect baked goods rather than their usual fate of being discarded by the ton.
4. Too Good to GoWith the super clear «Too Good To Go» app you can do your bit to rid Zurich of food waste. Okay, you may already know about the app but, be honest, how often do you use it? What i particularly like about it is that i keep discovering new businesses. Isn’t it time to take another look?
5. SuurPickling and fermenting. We all know that shelf life can be improved through these techniques. Why i’ve increased my shelf life by years pickling myself with fermented products. But back to the food. Zurich based company Suur is using the techniques of our ancestors to create delicious food that is locally produced and won’t go off immediately. My personal favourite: the Wirz kimchi!
6. GartengoldIsaac Newton famously discovered gravity when an apple fell from a tree but Leo and Albert from Gardengold noticed something when the apples didn’t fall from the tree. What they noticed was the apples are not harvested at all and simply go to waste on the branch. So why not harvest them? With their social enterprise Gartengold they pick the apples to create apple juice, spritzers or cider with the help of harvest workers with special needs. Newton would have been proud of that idea.
You didn't manage to get your dream flat? Don't worry, ask Ron. I'm sure these tips will help you to secure a flat of your dreams.
1. How to deal with the agency
Most flats are rented out through an agency. Some are very
2. Watch out!
I've told you before but another warning can't hurt. Fraudsters are active on all housing platforms in Switzerland. Also on my pages. Unfortunately, I can't guarantee that all offers are genuine. I do my best to blacklist any i catch but
3. Don't Worry, There's No Jazz
Switzerland has quite a few festivals but there is only one that can be truly called iconic: The Montreux Jazz Festival . This unique festival has hosted thousands of fantastic artists and even provided the inspiration for the rock
1. Pictures around the world
Show me your favorite pictures from the world, do not forget to mark them on the map!
2. Urban Signs Photo Trip
Take part in Ron's Urban Signs Photo trip. If you come across any unusual signs, shop windows, adverts or street art in your world travels, take a picture and upload it to the website. Limit yourself to your very best shots from where
3. Zurich Photo Trip
1. Casa nostrana
Albisstrasse 25, 8038 Zürich
2. Lucky Dumpling: Authentic Chinese
6 years ago we welcomed 'Dini Mueter' to the Langstrasse. This summer, the bar and restaurant underwent a refurbishment and just reopened its doors with a new concept and a new name. Well, actually the new name is also the concept: Lucky
3. Ooki: All the way from Tokyo
Whenever a new Japanese restaurant opens somewhere, you can be sure that I’m not far behind. This new locale is called Ooki and serves gyoza, ramen, tempura, udon, Japanese curries and sake. The interior is very authentic, the
Hi, We are based in Oberhasli, Zurich, and are looking for somebody to sit a few hours with our cat. We are away between Thursday 14/04 and Monday 19/04, and don't want him to get lonely. If you would like to pay our cat company while reading a book, doing your home office, or would like to stay overnight, we and Ninja would be very happy. Price negotiable, email me [email protected], and help on only some days would be sufficient, since we will have somebody come and feed him daily anyways.