For a long time, Zurich resembled a desert when it came to ice cream. And at once Gelaterias pop up everywhere. To keep cool, here you find my 10 favourite ice cream parlours in town. Happy summertime!
1. Gelateria di Berna The people from Bern know how to play football and the also know about ice cream. The Gelati from Gelateria di Berna is so good, that locals queue for 45 minutes to taste it. Good taste, good price, good crowd.
The ice cream stall at the lake of Zurich is an institution. Since twenty years it appears whenever the sun is out and brings a smile to kids and grownups alike.
3. Gelati at Tellhof The great ice cream from the lake found a permanent home at Tellhof last summer. Whether rain or snow, Monday or Sunday you have access to it all the time now.
4. Rosso Arancio at Stauffacher The latest offspring of the Gelateria family already left an impression in the neighbourhood (and on my hips). I think their pistachio should be forbidden...
5. Hasta Ice Cream at Niederdorf For 15 years, Hasta Ice Cream made the Valais happy. Since last summer, Zurich too. My favourite: Black Sesame.
6. Sorbetto If you prefer your ice cream to be light and fruity then the parlour Sorbetto at Wipkingen will make you happy. Next to regular ice cream they offer 15 kinds of sorbets.
7. Vegelateria Good news for vegans: Sacred at Müllerstrasse also offers a large range of vegan ice cream creations.
8. Piazza Gelateria at Idaplatz Just a few steps off the long queue of Gelateria die Berna lies Piazza offering a changing range of wonderful ice cream directly at Idaplatz.
9. Dieci Gelateria at Niederdorf You might know Dieci from their pizza but they also make wonderful ice cream. And i share with you an open secret: Their range consists if much more than just «dieci» flavours.
10. Mövenpick at Sechseläutenplatz Not a secret but hey i cannot deny it. Mövenpick was the first fancy brand in Switzerland and even though it's not Swiss anymore, nothing brings back memories of happy carefree summers like a lick of walnut maple.
11. And of course... Did i forget one? Tell me in the comments below....
Piracy has never been much of a vocation in Zurich. The lake is far too small and there is no treasure island. Or is that strictly true? While the lake is too small for an effective Long John Silver or Jack Sparrow, it does contain a
2. You're In Town
Whilst Züri Fäscht is a great event and amazing fun i am aware that many of you Ronsters maybe daunted by the prospect of sharing the city with 2.5 million people. But where to go? The areas around the lake are going to be
3. Balls Of Steel
It’s a classic French scene. A shady, tree lined town square where men in berets smoke Gauloise and play with their shiny silver balls. I’m talking of course about the game of pétanque. Now, i have never played but this
1. Nature Photography
Images far from urban life
2. Zurich Photo Trip
1. A short detour from the kitchen III
It is fun to cook good food and to eat that which you have cooked. Here the daunting part comes afterwards: the piles of dishes and utensils to be washed. To avoid the chore of washing up, one could go eat out. Here the challenge
1. Bagel-Factory Zürich
Buckhauserstrasse 35, 8048 Zürich
2. Casa nostrana
Albisstrasse 25, 8038 Zürich
3. Lucky Dumpling: Authentic Chinese
6 years ago we welcomed 'Dini Mueter' to the Langstrasse. This summer, the bar and restaurant underwent a refurbishment and just reopened its doors with a new concept and a new name. Well, actually the new name is also the concept: Lucky